Monday, June 27, 2016

Irregular Verb Group 2: I-A-U

So here's Irregular Verbs Group 2.  As I already posted in Irregular Verb Group 1, it's best to learn English's 250 irregular verbs by groups, similar sounds and patterns. Our brains learn best when we can perceive a pattern.

*Note: These verbs are what linguists call "strong" verbs, which means they don't end in 't', for example "I burnt my toast." 


Group 2: I-A-U

BEGIN-BEGAN-BEGUN
DRINK-DRANK-DRUNK
RING-RANG-RUNG
SING-SANG-SUNG
SINK-SANK-SUNK
SWIM-SWAM-SWUM

*Be careful not to make the mistake that many of my students have made:


INCORRECT: bring-brang-brung
CORRECT: bring-brought-brought

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

When do I use HAVE and HAS?

"Have" and "has" are both present tense conjugations of the verb "to have," and we use "have" or &q...