Friday, March 23, 2012

California Slang Shortlist

For those of you interested in informal English, spoken rather than written English, here is a shortlist of slang used everyday in California.  Note: The bold below indicates a stress.

adj.=adjective
adv.=adverb
n.=noun
v.=verb

    1.  lame (adj.) : boring, stupid, uninteresting
  • Our camping trip turned out to be really lame because it rained the entire time.
    2.  swell, break (n.): surfing place or spot, group of waves
  • My favorite break during the summer is in Del Mar.
  • That swell was huge yesterday!
    3.  mellow (adj.):  relaxed, calm,
  • My dog won't bite you--she's super mellow
    4.  sketchy (adj.): dubious, suspicious, weird
  • I don't ever go to that neighborhood at night because it gets really sketchy.
   5.  awesome (adj.): great, wonderful, incredible
  • The weather in California is awesome all year round. 
   6.  gnarly (adj.): crazy, unbelievable, amazing (Note: Gnarly can be good or bad.)
  • There was a gnarly car accident yesterday at the cliffs. (bad)
  • The waves here were totally gnarly yesterday after the tsunami hit Hawaii. (good or crazy)
   7.  dude, man (n.): guy (or more rarely, girl), used mostly between men
  • Dude!  I can't believe you haven't seen that movie...
  • Hey man, what have you been up to lately?
  8.  stoked (adj.): happy, excited 
  • I'm so stoked--I just found out that I passed the bar exam!!!
  9.  totally (adv.):  absolutely, completely, or it can be used to answer yes
  • + I'm totally into this new website that I found online--it has all sorts of information about traveling in Costa Rica.  Have you seen it?  (Note: to be into something means to really be interested in something).      
  • Totally!  I was the one who showed it to you!  Remember?  
10.  whatever (adv.):  It doesn't matter to me; Either way is fine for me; I don't care.
  • +Do you want to go to cook at home or go out?
  • +Whatever.  You choose...I worked all day today, so anything is fine with me.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

When do I use HAVE and HAS?

"Have" and "has" are both present tense conjugations of the verb "to have," and we use "have" or &q...