- Our camping trip turned out to be really lame because it rained the entire time.
- My favorite break during the summer is in Del Mar.
- That swell was huge yesterday!
- My dog won't bite you--she's super mellow.
- I don't ever go to that neighborhood at night because it gets really sketchy.
- The weather in California is awesome all year round.
6. gnarly (adj.): crazy, unbelievable, amazing (Note: Gnarly can be good or bad.)
- There was a gnarly car accident yesterday at the cliffs. (bad)
- The waves here were totally gnarly yesterday after the tsunami hit Hawaii. (good or crazy)
7. dude, man (n.): guy (or more rarely, girl), used mostly between men
- Dude! I can't believe you haven't seen that movie...
- Hey man, what have you been up to lately?
8. stoked (adj.): happy, excited
- I'm so stoked--I just found out that I passed the bar exam!!!
9. totally (adv.): absolutely, completely, or it can be used to answer yes
- + I'm totally into this new website that I found online--it has all sorts of information about traveling in Costa Rica. Have you seen it? (Note: to be into something means to really be interested in something).
- + Totally! I was the one who showed it to you! Remember?
10. whatever (adv.): It doesn't matter to me; Either way is fine for me; I don't care.
- +Do you want to go to cook at home or go out?
- +Whatever. You choose...I worked all day today, so anything is fine with me.