Tuesday, April 12, 2016

QUICK LESSON: Time PREPOSITIONS (with practice!)

Let's take a look at those little words called prepositions (on, in, to, out, for, through, behind, etc.). But as today is a quick lesson, let's just look at the following:

Prepositions for Time:


  • time (4:30, 12:00, 8:20...etc.)
  • days (Monday...)
  • dates (June 12th, 2015)
  • morning/afternoon/evening
  • night
  • months (January...)
  • seasons (winter, spring, summer, fall/autumn)
  • years (2014...)

AT+ _ _ : _ _+ night

I take my dog for a walk at 6:30 in the afternoon.
I get up at 7:15 in the morning. 
We will meet for lunch at noon. (12 pm)
The kids went to sleep at midnight. (12 am)
We like to go out at night

ON + day + date 

I work late on Mondays, and I take a late lunch on Fridays
I will see you on Tuesday
My birthday is on June 12th
The famous author was born on November 25th, 1979.

IN + the morning/afternoon/evening + months + seasons + year

I like to have an espresso early in the morning.
In the afternoon I enjoy going for a walk along the river.
Our family eats dinner in the evening at 7:30 pm.
He will get married in October.
Let's go to the beach in the summer and snowboarding in the winter.
Shakespeare was born in 1564 and died in 1616

Exercises:


Write the correct preposition of time:

1-Let’s meet ______ six o’clock.
2-I went to Scotland ______ 1980.
3-I will start my new job ______ Friday.
4-We met her______ New Year’s Eve.
5-We arrived in Romania _______ October.
6-_____ the summer I love to go sailing.
7-We get up early ________ the morning.
9-Do you dream_______ night?
10-What do you like doing _______ Fridays?
11-He is working on the project ______ Tuesday.
12-I lived in Spain _______ the 1970s.
13-I will see you _______ the winter.
14- The telephone and the doorbell rang ______ 5:00 pm.
15- My wife gave me a wonderful present _____ my birthday.
16- The doctor will see you _______ two o’clock.
17- We got up ______ the morning.
18-I like to drink tea ______ the evening.
19-I was born _______ the 15th of March, 1990.
20-Shakespeare died ______ 1616. 

Answers:

  1. at
  2. in
  3. on
  4. on
  5. in
  6. In
  7. in
  8. at
  9. on
  10. on
  11. on
  12. in
  13. in
  14. at
  15. on
  16. at
  17. in
  18. in
  19. on
  20. in



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

When do I use HAVE and HAS?

"Have" and "has" are both present tense conjugations of the verb "to have," and we use "have" or &q...