- Where do you live?
- I leave next weekend.
- No, WHERE do you LIVE...?
- Oh! I live in a student apartment downtown.
PRONUNCIATION TIPS: 'ɪ' vs. 'i:'
i: (as in sheep)
- This is a LONG sound.
- This sound is articulated in the FRONT of the mouth.
- The mouth is ALMOST CLOSED.
- The tongue touches the top of the mouth.
- This is a SHORT sound.
- The sound is articulated in the MIDDLE of the mouth.
- The mouth is SLIGHTLY OPEN.
- The tongue pushes downward slightly.
Okay, enough of the descriptions! Try these pronunciation pairs for practice: