1. to be
2. ALL other verbs (DO/DOES/DID)
If the verb is (to be), then the grammar will be different. If the verb is any other verb except (to be), then we use DO/DOES/DID as the helping or auxiliary verb. We also use DO/DOES/DID for negative statements, but for this post, let's take a look at questions. At the end of this post, you can find information about questions using the verb TO BE.
Questions: ALL Other Verbs (Using DO/DOES/DID)To form questions in English using any other verb except (to be), we must use the helping or auxilary verbs: DO/DOES/DID. Remember that DO/DOES we use in the present tense with the following subjects:
- PRESENT TENSE (AUXILIARY VERB): DO/DOES
Do (I, you, we, they) understand English?
Does (he, she, it, your mother, the man) speak well?
- PAST TENSE (AUXILIARY VERB): DID
And we use DID in the past tense with all subjects:
Did (I, you, he, she, it, we, they) pass the exam?
- When forming questions with DO/DOES/DID, we use the following format:
What + do +you +like to do on the weekends?
We use DO/DOES/DID with the present and past simple tenses as seen below.
- He likes to play baseball.= Does he like to play baseball?
- They went shopping yesterday.= Did they go shopping yesterday?
- They do their homework after dinner.= Do they do their homework after dinner?
- She travels to Asia every summer.= Where does she travel every summer?
- We go jogging at 7:00 am every morning.= When do you go jogging?
- I went to class four times per week.= How often did you go to class?
Questions: TO BE
- He is Italian= Is he Italian? (present)
- They are going to participate in the contest= Are they going to participate in the contest? (future)
- She is leaving soon!= Is she leaving soon? (continous/future)
- The door is closed.= Is the door closed? (present passive)
- The children were swimming all day long.= Were the children swimming all day long? (past continuous)
- He is being interrogated by the FBI.= Is he being interrogated by the FBI? (present continuous)
I hope this helps. If you have any suggestions for future blog posts, just write under the Q&A page on my blog ;)