I enjoy having a coffee after dinner.
I need to buy a dress.
I like to go to the beach.
I like going to the beach.
These examples represent the three groups of verbs below:
- gerund ONLY (verb+ing)
- infinitive ONLY (to+verb)
- gerund OR infinitive
- The following verbs MUST be followed by a gerund (verb + ing)
- can't stand (really don't like!)
- give up
- go + activity (swimming, surfing, shopping, dancing, sightseeing...)
2. The following verbs MUST be followed by an infinitive (to + verb)
3. The following verbs can be followed by a gerund (verb + ing) OR an infinitive (to + verb)
- can't stand