To all my Portuguese speakers, feel free to say "SH" with this list of words!
- chef (cook)
- chauffeur (driver)
- chalet (big ski cabin)
- chandelier (ornate lighting fixture)
- chic (cool)
- cliché (trite or banal saying)
- crochet (similar to knitting)
- charlatan (somebody who is a fake)
- champagne (We all know what champagne is, right?)
- machine (We all know this one too...)
There are many more words that entered the English language via French when William the Conqueror, the first Norman king of England gained control of the British Isles.