Saturday, June 13, 2015

Did you know OBSOLESCENCE is a word? I sure didn't...

Dictionary.com has a Word of the Day that you can subscribe to, and there are always new and interesting words to learn.  I would recommend it to my readers of all levels!  Even if you are a beginner, it's great to challenge oneself.

You can subscribe here for FREE...if you like: http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/list

First of all, let's take a look at the more common word OBSOLETE.


As most of my readers know obsolete is something that is no longer used or out-of-date.  These days, this word is a useful because of the rapid pace of technological development.  

For example, tape cassettes are media to listen to music, and these days they are obsolete because nobody uses them. (Except for DJ Mada, and actually...I have been trying to find some to buy because my 2000 Golf has a tape cassette player!)  I can't manage to find a place to buy cassettes, so there you go!...It's a perfect word to describe my dilemna:

Ex. "As tape cassettes are obsolete, I can't manage to find any for my 2000 Golf cassette player!"

So there you have it.  Can you think of other obsolete items?  There are so many, like my 2006 Mac laptop, which is so outdated it has completely shut down or rotary telephones...or records...or VHS tapes...If you're a child of the 70s like me, the list is endless...

But this is the thing: Obsolete things are always the coolest, right?  

What does OBSOLETE mean again? (...I still don't understand...)


Well, then, here's the defnition of obsolete according to Dictionary.com:
adjective:

1. no longer produced or used, out of date.  Synonyms: OUT OF DATE, OUTDATED, OUTMODED, OLD-FASHIONED
2. BIOLOGY: (of a part or characteristic of an organism) less developed than formerly or in a related species.  Synonyms: RUDIMENTARY, VESTIGIAL

What does OBSOLESCENCE mean?

I'm going to use the help of Dictionary.com once again to take a look at this new word.  Basically, it is the noun of obsolete.

Here's the definition of obsolescence:

1. The state, process or condition of becoming obsolete.

Origin: This expression came into the English language in the 1820s.  Thanks to Latin, we have this word, which means "to fall into disuse."

So now, you have one more word checked off on your vocabulary list!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

When do I use HAVE and HAS?

"Have" and "has" are both present tense conjugations of the verb "to have," and we use "have" or &q...