Sunday, June 21, 2015

EXPAND your Vocabulary: LACKADAISICAL

This is one of my favorite words because the sound of the word reflects its meaning, in my humble opinion.  And again, I use Dictionary.com to define the word.  I hope you like it as much as I do!


Ex.  This post is rather lackadaisical because all I did was quote Dictionary.com!


lackadaisical
\lak-uh-DEY-zi-kuhl\
adjective
1. without interest, vigor, or determination; listless; lethargic: a lackadaisical attempt.
2. lazy; indolent: a lackadaisical fellow.
Quotes
He had for a moment been very angry when his friend had told him that he could not sympathise with a lackadaisical lover. It was an ill-natured word. He felt it to be so when he heard it, and so he continued to think during the whole of the half-hour that he sat in that chair.
-- Anthony Trollope, The Small House at Allington, 1864
Origin
Lackadaisical stems from the archaic term lackadaisy, a variant of lackaday. These in turn came from an alteration of the phrase alack the day, an interjection used as an exclamation of sorrow, regret, or dismay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

When do I use HAVE and HAS?

"Have" and "has" are both present tense conjugations of the verb "to have," and we use "have" or &q...