Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A HEARTY WELCOME or a CORDIAL RECEPTION? This is so COOL! ...especially for native speakers...

When you think of a hearty welcome, what do you imagine...?


What are people wearing?  What are people drinking?  Where is everyone?

When you think of a cordial reception, what do you imagine...?


What are people wearing?  What are people drinking?  Where is everyone?


A TED Talk about the History of the English Language


So, what you imagine is a reflection of the roots of the English Language, and when I say roots, I mean a century (1,000 years) ago.

Thanks to my colleague, Tim, I leave you here with this amazing TED Talk, which explains the etymology of a hearty welcome and a cordial reception:

Enjoy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

When do I use HAVE and HAS?

"Have" and "has" are both present tense conjugations of the verb "to have," and we use "have" or &q...